McGeorge alumni are a valued part of the law school community. We strive to stay engaged with each and every alum, so if you need services, support or information, please contact Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 916.739.7141
As a part of the alumni community, each alum has access to the services below, as well as local Sacramento and regional chapter networking events, continuing legal education activities, and other chapter programming. For a complete listing of alumni activities, by region, please go to the alumni events page.
McGeorge Alumni Directory
Our alumni have access to the McGeorge Alumni Directory where you can find friends and business referrals.
McGeorge Events and CLE
Legal Studies Center
Our alumni have access to the McGeorge Law Library and Recreation Center. To receive your alumni card, please contact the library at 916.739.7131 to arrange for access.
Our alumni may access the services of the McGeorge Career Development Office (CDO) for the rest of your legal career!
McGeorgeCareersOnline (MCO) Career Manager
Search through and apply for current employment opportunities, upload resumes and cover letters, and take advantage of other CDO services, including the Document Library, on MCO. The CDO sends regular e-mail messages featuring available job opportunities, so be sure your MCO profile accurately reflects your current email address, practice area and geographic preferences.
One-on-One Career Advising
In-Person Advising — Meet with a career advisor to discuss your specific job-search or career-transition plans, or to have your resume, cover letter, or other professional materials reviewed. Make an appointment on MCO or call us at 916.739.7011.
- Email — Email your professional materials to email@example.com. A career advisor will review them and email you back with comments.
After graduation you may continue to use the resources of the McGeorge CDO, including books, handouts, and any other materials available in the CDO lobby.
Reciprocity allows graduates from ABA-accredited law schools to use the employment resources of other ABA-accredited law schools' career services offices. To request reciprocity, contact Sally Draper at 916.739.7125 or firstname.lastname@example.org. McGeorge's reciprocity policy can be found here (pdf). For more information on obtaining reciprocity, please see this handout (pdf).
Job Search Strategies
Below is a list of job-search resources and ideas. Please make an appointment with (or send an email to) a career advisor for more job-search and career-planning ideas specifically tailored to you.
- Log onto BYU Intercollegiate Job Bank for summer opportunities outside of Sacramento. The password is in the MCO document library.
- Register with PSJD to gain access the largest database of public interest and public sector jobs. We've already paid your registration fees!
- Partnership for Public Service offers several e-publications, including Daily Pipeline.
- Federal Times — has a great career section.
- The American Corporate Counsel Association lists available corporate counsel jobs.
- Obtaining information on mid-sized and large law firms is relatively easy. Go to:
- Small law firms often "fly under the radar" and may or may not be featured in large commercial database websites. To obtain information about small firms, you'll have to be creative: read local legal publications, talk to local attorneys, use WESTLAW and LEXIS to search cases and publications, and even look through the Yellow Pages.
- Conduct informational interviews with McGeorge or undergrad alumni:
- Alumni Directory — A few months after you graduate, you'll have access to the McGeorge online alumni directory. Use it to request informational interviews with alumni.
- Alumni Mentor Network — it's not too late to take an alum to coffee through our Alumni Mentor Network on McGeorgeCareersOnline. Don't have access to this tab? Just ask the CDO at email@example.com.
- Be a joiner — Join bar associations. Participate in community groups. Volunteer.
- LinkedIn — Make a strong LinkedIn profile and use LinkedIn to your advantage.
- Job Fairs — Many legal career job fairs around the country welcome recent law school graduates.
- Alumni Events — McGeorge posts alumni events.
- Young Alumni Chapter — You'll automatically become a member of the Alumni Chapter. Attend professional development programs and other social networking events.
Additional Job Search Websites