International Students & Alumni
McGeorge School of Law students and recent graduates gain invaluable international experience through internships:
- Yen Phan '12 , is serving as an intern at the International Law Institute-African Centre for Legal Excellence (ILI-ACLE) in Kampala, Uganda. She previously interned with International Bridges to Justice in Geneva and with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague.
- Jasmine Turner-Bond '11, interned with Judge Fausto Pocar in the Appeals Chamber of the ICTY during fall 2012. Judge Pocar is also a member of the McGeorge International Advisory Board.
- Nicole Rangel '10, served a nine-month internship with Judge Fausto Pocar in the Appeals Chamber of the ICTY in 2011. Nicole previously interned with a defense counsel, Peter Robinson, at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).
- Jessica Asfour '11, interned from April-July 2012 in the Appeals Chamber of the International Criminal Court (ICC). She previously spent the fall 2011 semester interning in a trial chamber at the ICTY and also interned with a defense counsel, Peter Robinson, at the ICTR.
- Dominic Afzali interned at the ICC from October 2010 to February 2011. Dominic previously interned at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia.
- During the last academic year, McGeorge students or recent graduates who interned at the ICTY included: Yen Phan '12 , Danielle Wheeler '12, Gina Le '11 and Eric Papathakis '11, in Chambers; Adam Guernsey '11, in the Office of the Prosecutor.
- Two alumni are working in international criminal tribunals: Cynthia Tai, '93 in the Office of the Prosecutor at the ICC and Lauren Tipton, '08 at the ICTR. Lauren made a guest appearance to talk with students in Professor McCaffrey’s Public International Law class.
McGeorge Students and International Moot Court Competitions
- The 2012-2013 Moot Court team members competed in four international competitions this year: The Ninth Annual International Criminal Court Regional Round for the Americas (February 2013), the 54th Annual Jessup International Regional (tbd), the 46th Annual Niagara International (Feb. 28-March 2, 2013), and the 18th Annual Inter-American Human Rights (May 20-24, 2013).
- Jason Buscaino '12 , Brittany Griffith '12, Amy Hammond '12, and Harpreet Nakhwal '12, were quarterfinalists in the Niagara International Moot Court competition.— February 2012
- Smith, Vanderlinde Shine in Inter-American Debut — June 2011
- Booth, Collins, Radcliffe Compete At The Hague — April 2011
- Jessup Team Turns In A Strong Performance — April 2011
- McGeorge Takes Third in Niagara Moot — March 2011
- Moot Court Team Earns Trip to The Hague — February 2011