Future Students

  • Print
  • Share
  • Questions

LL.M. & J.S.D. FAQ

Is there an International student community?

There is a thriving international student community at McGeorge School of Law providing J.D., LL.M., and J.S.D. students with many opportunities to socialize, gain additional academic support and secure any resources they may need as they adjust to life in the United States. Approximately 30-40 international students are enrolled at McGeorge each year.

Do I have to take the LSAT or a similar test before applying to the LL.M. Program?

There is no entry or LSAT type exam that must be taken prior to applying to the LL.M. programs at McGeorge.

How long should my personal statement be?

Your personal statement/ statement of interest should contain all information that you believe is relevant for the admission committee to make a decision. Generally, personal statements in excess of four (4) pages would be considered too lengthy.

When is the application deadline?

The F-1 student visa process may take up to three months. We encourage students to submit their application no later than May 15 to allow sufficient time for processing.

Do you have scholarships for LL.M. and J.S.D. students?

McGeorge has limited Scholarship funding available for LL.M and J.S.D. students. To apply for scholarship, please fill out the scholarship application form (pdf) .

What kind of support is available to international students once on-campus?

The Graduate and International Programs Office assists incoming and current international students in making a smooth transition to McGeorge and in taking advantage of the many opportunities available to them. The office offers a variety of resources, such as tailored academic counseling and support, shopping trips, special orientation, and a bike rental program. Please see the International Students section of our website for further details.

Do LL.M. and J.S.D. students have access to the same kinds of extracurricular activities as J.D. students?

LL.M. and J.S.D. students are eligible to participate in all of the extracurricular activities available to J.D. students. McGeorge has a lively student community including various student organizations, social and academic events and intramural sports. Additionally, Sacramento maintains a thriving social and political scene full of accessible events for students and their families.

Can I visit the campus?

Every prospective student is encouraged to visit the beautiful, 13-acre campus. Individual visits can be arranged by contacting us at 916.739.7019.

When and how do I get my student visa?

After you have been admitted to McGeorge, we will send you a letter with detailed instructions about how to obtain your visa. Upon receipt of your deposit and the financial and personal information requested in the visa instructions letter, McGeorge will issue you an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for an F-1 student visa at the United States Consulate in your country. For more information, go to our visa page.

When should I reserve my campus housing?

The on-campus housing is on a first-come, first-served basis. To be eligible to reserve housing, you must have paid your deposit in full. Private apartments or rooms can be rented in the vicinity of the Law School, but you will probably only be able to rent private apartments after you arrive in Sacramento. For more information, go to our Housing Page.

What does LL.M. mean?

LL.M. is the abbreviation of the Latin Legum Magister, which means Master of Laws. In Latin, the plural form of a word is abbreviated by repeating the letter. A more complete definition is available here.

Will the LL.M. degree qualify me to take a Bar exam in the U.S.?

Each state has its own rules for eligibility. Students who earned an LL.B. from a common law country, as well as students who are already licensed in their home country may qualify for the California Bar exam or New York Bar exam. In many cases additional studies as part of an LL.M. program are necessary to become eligible. If you are interested in taking a Bar exam in the United States, please let your academic advisor know as early as possible. Eligibility review may take up to six months. For more information, please go to The State Bar of California's foreign education page or review their admissions document for foreign attorneys (pdf).

If I am not a U.S. citizen, will I be able to work while I study?

The U.S. regulations only allow F-1 or J-1 visa holder to be employed on-campus until they have completed one year of academic studies. After completing the LL.M. degree or one year of academic studies, F-1 students are entitled to apply for a pre-completion or post-completion Optional Practical Training which allows them to be employed in the field of law. For more information regarding employment, please email us

Does mcgeorge have any other graduate programs?

Yes, McGeorge offers a Master of Science in Law (M.S.L.) degree, which is specifically designed for working professionals without prior legal training, as well as a Master of Public Policy and a Master of Public Administration.


Contact Clémence Kucera, Director, Graduate & International Programs and Centers of Distinction
Email | 916.739.7353 or 916.739.7019