The California Initiative Review (CIR) is a non-partisan, objective Web publication which provides comprehensive, independent analyses of California Ballot initiatives and related issues. The review is produced each year by the Capital Center for Law & Policy at our California Initiative Forum.
At every statewide election in California, voters make choices about candidates and ballot propositions. Statewide ballot measures, including initiatives and referendums, are a form of direct democracy and allow voters to have a voice in the laws that will govern them.
In an effort to aid voters in exercising their choice, students in the California Initiative Seminar course at McGeorge study and analyze all statewide ballot measures for each California election. Their objective analyses are published here as the California Initiative Review (CIR).
- Proposition 1A: Safe, Reliable High-Speed Passenger Train Bond Act (pdf)
- Proposition 2: Standards for Confining Farm Animals Act (pdf)
- Proposition 3: The Children’s Hospital Bond Act of 2008 (pdf)
- Proposition 4: Waiting Period and Parental Notification Before Termination of Minor's Pregnancy. Initiative Constitutional Amendment (pdf)
- Proposition 5: Nonviolent Offenders Rehabilitation Act of 2008 (pdf)
- Proposition 6: The Safe Neighborhood Act. Stop Gang, Gun, and Street Crime (pdf)
- Proposition 7: Renewable Energy Generation. Initiative Statute. (pdf)
- Proposition 8: Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples To Marry. Initiative Constitutional Amendment (pdf)
- Proposition 9: Criminal Justice System. Victims’ Rights. Parole. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute (pdf)
- Proposition 10: Alternative Fuel Vehicles And Renewable Energy Bond Act (pdf)
- Proposition 11: Redistricting. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute (pdf)
- Proposition 12: Veteran's Bond Act of 2008 (pdf)
- Report: Voter Fraud vs Voter Suppression — A Refocus in Values (pdf)
Questions or Comments?
Contact Professor Mary-Beth Moylan
Email | 916.739.7223