November 2016 Initiatives
The California Initiative Review (CIR) is a non-partisan, objective Web publication which provides comprehensive, independent analyses of California Ballot initiatives and related issues. The review is produced every other year by the Capital Center for Law & Policy at our California Initiative Forum.
At every statewide election in California, voters make choices about candidates and ballot propositions. Statewide ballot measures, including initiatives and referendums, are a form of direct democracy and allow voters to have a voice in the laws that will govern them.
In an effort to aid voters in exercising their choice, students in the California Initiative Seminar course at McGeorge study and analyze all statewide ballot measures for each California election. Their objective analyses are published here as the California Initiative Review (CIR).
- Introduction and Initiative Review "At-a-glance" (pdf) — for Nov. 8, 2016
- Proposition 51: School Bonds. Funding for K-12 School and Community College Facilities. (pdf)
- Proposition 52: Medi-Cal Hospital Fee Program. (pdf)
- Proposition 53: Revenue Bonds. Statewide Voter Approval. (pdf)
- Proposition 54: Legislature. Legislation and Proceedings. "California Legislature Transparency Act" (pdf)
- Proposition 55: Tax Extension to Fund Education and Healthcare. (pdf)
- Proposition 56: Cigarette Tax to Fund Healthcare, Tobacco Use Prevention, Research, and Law Enforcement (pdf)
- Proposition 57: Criminal Sentence. Parole. Juvenile Criminal Proceedings and Sentencing. "The Public Safety and Rehabilitation Act of 2016" (pdf)
- Proposition 58: English Proficiency. Multilingual Education. "California Education for a Global Economy Initiative" (pdf)
- Proposition 59: Corporations. Political Spending. Federal Constitutional Protections. Legislative Advisory Question. (pdf)
- Proposition 60: Adult Films. Condoms. Health Requirements. (pdf)
- Proposition 61: State Prescription Drug Purchases. Pricing Standards. (pdf)
- Proposition 62: Death Penalty. "The Justice That Works Act of 2016" (pdf)
- Proposition 63: Firearms. Ammunition Sales. "Safety for All Act of 2016" (pdf)
- Proposition 64: Marijuana Legalization. (pdf)
- Proposition 65: Carryout Bags. Charges. (pdf)
- Proposition 66: Death Penalty. Procedures. "Death Penalty Reform and Savings Act of 2016" (pdf)
- Proposition 67: Ban on Single-Use Plastic Bags. (pdf)
Questions or Comments?
Contact Professor Mary-Beth Moylan
Email | 916.739.7223