A leader in American legal education's international outreach efforts since 1974, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific was among the first U.S. law schools to work with China in the development of its legal education system. An early exchange program between 1982 and 1988 produced the influential dean of the University of Beijing School of Law, Zhu Suli.
More recently, in 2004-2005, McGeorge participated in developing an innovative summer program, with Kenneth Wang School of Law at Soochow University, using skills-based simulations to teach teams of Chinese and American students negotiation and problem-solving.
Also in 2004-2005, under contract with the State Department, the law faculty at McGeorge provided advocacy skills training to judges, prosecutors and public defenders in Chile as that nation moved from a tribunal to an adversarial criminal court system.
This newest effort in China is a project of the United States Agency for International Development program and gives McGeorge the opportunity to share its strength in advocacy training and other practical legal skills with Chinese Law Schools.
Phase I Partner Schools
- American University's Washington College of Law — A pioneer in clinical education, is uniquely suited to be effective in providing technical, managerial, and training assistance to China. Annually recognized among the very finest U.S. law schools in clinical legal education, the Washington College of Law boasts no fewer than nine in-house law clinics. Each gives student attorneys the opportunity to represent real clients with real legal problems, handling litigation from beginning to end and carrying out transactional work for client groups while under the supervision of experienced professor/attorneys. American University has long-standing commitments to international legal education, including, among others, dual J.D. degree programs in Canada and Spain, and dual LL.M and semester exchange programs with the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL)
- South China University of Technology (SCUT)
- Zhejiang Gongshang University (ZGU)
Phase II Participating Schools
- Wuhan University
- Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE)
- North University of Nationalities (NUN)
- Central China University of Science and Technology (CCUST)
- Southwest University of Science and Technology (SWUST)