Yellow Ribbon Program FAQ
What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount at the institution.
Who is Eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Only individuals entitled to the 100% benefit rate (based on service requirements) may receive Yellow Ribbon benefits from Pacific McGeorge and the VA. We encourage all veterans to review the eligibility criteria directly from the VA's website at http://www.gibill.va.gov.
Active duty members and spouses and children of active duty members eligible for transfer of entitlements are eligible to use this award only if they are not eligible to have their tuition and fees paid in full under another VA benefit program.
The general eligibility requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program include:
- Student served an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, of at least 36 months; or
- Student was honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and has served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001; or
- Student is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above
What are Pacific McGeorge’s Yellow Ribbon Benefits?
Only Juris Doctor (J.D.) students are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program at Pacific McGeorge.
- This award will be offered to a maximum of 30 eligible J.D. Student veterans
- They will receive up to 100% of the unmet established charges (tuition & student fees) per academic year
- The actual amount will vary based on number of units taken and charged for each semester. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program the Department of Veterans Affairs will then match Pacific McGeorge’s contributions made to the eligible veterans each academic year that the University participates in the program.
How will Pacific McGeorge select Yellow Ribbon Program benefit recipients?
Students will be selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program award based on a first come first serve basis, determined by the date and time your application is received by the V.A. Representative (Registrar’s Office). Once the maximum awards available (30) have been offered, no additional Yellow Ribbon Program awards will be offered by Pacific McGeorge and no more applications will be accepted.
What are the application deadline dates?
If you are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program and will be enrolled, you should submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility form (COE) and the Yellow Ribbon Application (pdf) to the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. The application deadline for each academic year is Oct. 31.
How Do I Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits under Post-9/11 GI Bill?
The Department of Veterans Affairs is now processing applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Interested students should complete and submit the application form online at http://www.gibill.va.gov.
To complete an application on-line, you will need Pacific McGeorge’s VA Code number: 3-1-8912-05.
You will receive written notification explaining the VA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that specifies you are "potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program." The VA will notify you of the amount of the Yellow Ribbon Program benefits they will pay. The final funding decision, however, will be made by Pacific McGeorge.
For questions regarding COE, contact the veteran's administration at 1.888.GIBILL1 (1.888.442.4551) to speak with an Education Case Manager.
Once you receive your COE and are deemed potentially eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, complete Pacific McGeorge's Yellow Ribbon Application (pdf) and submit your COE along with your application to Pacific McGeorge Office of the Registrar.
Upon receipt of your COE, the Office of the Registrar will verify your eligibility to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program and send a copy of your COE and application to the Financial Aid Office for consideration of your Yellow Ribbon award. Once your application has been processed you will receive notification of your award or denial.
How will I know if I have received the Yellow Ribbon Program benefit from Pacific McGeorge?
If you receive a Yellow Ribbon award from Pacific McGeorge, it will be included in your financial aid award in accordance with all federal, state and institutional rules and regulations. You will be notified of the award by e-mail and/or letter from the Financial Aid Office instructing you to view your financial aid awards by logging into your insidePacific account.
How is this benefit applied to my student account?
The Pacific McGeorge portion of your Yellow Ribbon award will credit to your account once you meet all enrollment and disbursement requirements. Most awards will credit to your account on the first day of classes.
The VA match of your Yellow Ribbon award will be issued directly to the law school on your behalf after your enrollment certification is processed by the VA.
Will my Yellow Ribbon Award be renewed?
Pacific McGeorge will offer you a Yellow Ribbon Program award as long as the following apply:
- Pacific McGeorge continues to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program (The University of the Pacific's participation in the Yellow Ribbon program is voluntary. Pacific McGeorge may choose to change the contribution amount offered in future years or may choose not to participate in the program altogether.)
- You remain in good academic standing as defined in the Pacific McGeorge Academic Catalog and Student Handbook
- You have not been disciplined under the Pacific McGeorge Code of Student Responsibility
- You have remaining entitlement as defined by the VA
For Additional Information
Visit www.gibill.va.gov for additional information on the Yellow Ribbon Program or other benefits.
Contact the Financial Aid Office
Email | 916.739.7158